First, I stacked and layered tissue paper to cut out multiple shapes at a time. I used several spring like colors we had of tissue, some colored plastic, and crepe paper. I gathered them in a container as I cut them for easy access.
Next I taped a piece of clear contact paper across our window with the sticky side up. I peeled off the paper backing and Everett began decorating the contact paper with our tissue shapes.
I had intended that he could come and go at the window, doing little bits at a time when he felt like it. It turned out he wanted me to help and he stayed to finish the hole thing. Even working together this kept him busy for a long time!
Before hanging it as a completed project, I added another layer of contact paper to seal it. I found that it was easiest to lay the artwork on a table, measure and cut the top layer of contact paper, and lay the contact paper down so the paper backing was down.
Then, I slowly pulled back segments of the paper backing and smoothed it out from the center to the sides. It turned out nearly perfect, with just a few wrinkles at the beginning when I was experimenting with the technique.
Here is our beautiful finished project, both during the day and night. You can really see the colors in the nighttime shot since I'm taking the photos inside.
I love how pretty it makes our big window, especially with the window pulled up and the spring breeze blowing in! Everett wants to do it for the whole window and our dinning room windows, but I've got other plans for those, thanks to the Artful Parent. Stay tuned to see what we do for those next week!